March 14, 2012

I'm going to run a Half Marathon?!?

Last year in April I ran my first 5k race in Lake Havasu City.  I have to admit that I was a little jealous of all the half marathoners running over the London Bridge.  I then completed my first triathlon last August and finally decided in December that I would sign up for the half marathon in Lake Havasu City this year.

I am exactly a month away from the half marathon and am doing fairly well in my training.  I try to run 3 times a week, with 1 long run a week.  My last long run was 10 miles.  According to running coaches your longest training run only needs to be 7 miles, however I felt a little skeptical about that and want to make sure I won't die, so I have gone a little beyond that distance in my training.  I have found that I really enjoy the distance between 3 and 5 miles, however I realized that anything over 5 miles becomes uncomfortable.  My first attempt at an 8 mile run did not go well for me. I did everything I absolutely could to get to 7.65 miles, but I could not go an inch further, it was then I decided that I am absolutely crazy for ever deciding that a half marathon was a good idea.  My 9 and 10 mile runs have proven to be better than that silly 7.65 mile run, but still running for over 2 hours continuously is just a little bit nuts.

2 comments:

  1. Katie! Thanks for your sweet comment. And that's so awesome you're going to do a half marathon!!! The most I've ever run is a 5k and it just about did me in. I think once I get back to the states, I need to start jogging again. You've inspired me! Hope all is well! p.s. It's still weird to me that we haven't actually met... I feel like I know you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear I've inspired you, I read your posts about hiking to Mount Everest base camp and THAT is awesome! I just finished reading "Into Thin Air" which fascinated me so I know that just making it to base camp is certainly an accomplishment. It is a bit strange that we haven't met, but since you know Carrie, we are similar (I've heard that our laughs are pretty much the same), but we DO have our differences as I LIKE cats ;).

      Delete